Saturday, April 26, 2008

Rough Couple Days

Well, I said I was bad about this kind of thing, however I have good reason. Thursday morning I woke up at 5:30 in tremendous pain on my left side. The whole day is kind of a blur, but I did make it to the doctor's office. Could be a kidney stone, but we're not sure. I finally hit 70 that morning also, I kind of remember it. Anyhow, resting, sleeping, tossing, turning, finally 6:00 Friday morning my alarm goes off and the pain in my side is gone. I was worried that the pain would come back, so I didn't get up and do a dance of joy like I wanted to. Hopped in the shower, got dressed and headed in to work. Finally passed the stone on my first visit to the restroom after arriving at the office. Glad to have that out of my system.

I turn on my computer and attempt to get a little work done (I came in early to try to catch up on what I missed from the day before), 8:05 rolls around and the President (not a big deal really, there's only 9 employees in the whole company) calls me into his office to meet with my manager and the VP. They're letting me go he says. So, I hold back the tears (may sound wussy to you, but my tear ducts are one of the parts of my body I have absolutely no control over), knowing that they are right, I screwed up. The company was great to work for. Good benefits, great people. The job probably wasn't the best for me. Inside sales. I'm more of a tech support kind of guy, and probably won't be happy until that's the type of job I'm in. Problem is, no matter how much experience I have, everyone wants a piece of paper that says I graduated some college for it. And school is not my cup o' tea.

And no, this isn't really what I intended this blog for, but I needed to get this off my chest somehow and anonymously sounded like the best way since anyone who's reading this most likely doesn't know me. I still don't want to tell my parents. Your son, the failure, has been laid off from his job 3 years ago and now fired from his next job after 2 years 4 months.

I almost feel selfish for the self-pity, as I really did bring this one down on myself. And there are bigger, sadder things happening out there. Seriously, BRK & the rest of AC have my sincerest condolences. I don't handle losing people well, and you have done so in a most respectful way. Unfortunately I cannot afford to donate to the cause, but if you are reading this and have been blessed with any type of abundance recently, BRK is taking donations to help pay for the funeral.

I suppose this is all for now. I'll be back when I'm feeling better.

3 comments:

Eustashius said...

hey there,
As a parent I can tell you that your professional "success" or "failure" makes not one hill of beans difference! Do you think we have never been fired and laid off and kicked when we are down :-) ? This happens at some point to everyone. The statement this happens to everyone is not primarily intended to comfort as to provide perspective. Everyone poops (just ask Doom ;-) ), everyone cries and everyone has had a job or three go sour.

/helping hand up
/salute
/smile

Take care,
-eustashius

Malok said...

Thank you. Perspective is a good thing, but I guess at 32 I figured I was past such things. It just proves that older doesn't always mean wiser. And, having kids of my own I worry about the impression that I make. My 3 year old is too young to know, but the 9 year old hears everything I don't want him to. Thank you, your words mean a lot to me. And, I wasn't sure anyone was actually reading my blog. :)

Evil Sheep said...

Think about this. The average amount of time that a person stays at one job these days is just over 2 years. You made it past that mark. While it sucks to get fired, you know why it happened, and you know that job wasn't for you. Now it's time to go talk to people and let them know how much you know, with or without a piece of paper.

Trust me, I've been fired/laid off/let go/downsized more times than I can count, and other than a couple of "holding pattern" jobs, I've moved up in pay and enjoyment every time.

Good luck to you in the job search, and don't be afraid to take a job to "get by" for a little while so you can make the bills. Just remember it's a temporary thing and keep looking for the right job.